Mr Hardik Shah (PhD from Chemical Engineering Department, Institute of Technology, Nirma University-2011-2018), has been recently appointed as the Private Secretary to Honorable PM Shri Narendra Modi. Mr Shah, a 2010-batch IAS officer of Gujarat cadre was appointed as the Private Secretary to the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change, and Information and Broadcasting. Earlier, he was also appointed as the Deputy Secretary in the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO).
Mr Shah has made an immense contribution to the national plan to control the plastic menace and environment conservation. He also had a key role in controlling pollution and promoting environmental protection in various states.
Prior to this appointment, he was the Additional Collector of Himatnagar district. He has also served as the Member Secretary, Gujarat Pollution Control Board, Government of Gujarat, and Secretary, Gujarat State Expert Appraisal Committee constituted by the Government of Gujarat for the implementation of EIA notification, 2006 in the state.
- Mr Puneet Malpani, Chemical Engineering Department (BTech 2006-2010), owner of Myra Enterprises has developed a chemically treated non-woven fabric to protect against COVID-19. The company has developed a chemically treated non-woven fabric that has proved effective against the Novel Coronavirus within 5 minutes of its exposure to the virus, via the ISO18184 testing method. The developed material is currently being used for making masks on large scale.
Alumni On Campus
Owing to the ongoing pandemic, the alumni of Nirma University conducted the following webinars online:
- Mechanical Engineering Students Association (MESA) organised an online expert talk on “How to crack a competitive exam?” on June 27, 2020 by Mr Gaurav Joshi, (2014 pass out BTech in Mechanical Engineering), IRSME officer, Indian Railways. He has cleared various competitive exams like UPSC Engineering Service Examination with All India Rank (AIR) 5, GATE AIR 47, BARC 99.77 percentile, ISRO, ONGC, IISc, among others.
- Mr Saurabh Vyas, Deputy Manager, International Business Development and RA Operations (Emerging Market), Zydus Cadila, and an alumni of Institute of Pharmacy conducted a webinar on ‘Regulatory Aspects of International Business’ for MPharm (Pharmaceutical Analysis and RA) and PhD students on June 19, 2020.
- Dr Nitesh Shah, Director, Technical and Business development, Evonik, and an alumni of Institute of Pharmacy conducted a webinar on ‘Biodegradable polymers-Microparticles and medical device applications’ for BPharm, MPharm and PhD students on June 24, 2020.
- Dr Harsh S Shah, Senior Scientist, Preformulation, J-Star Research, New Jersey, USA, and an alumni of Institute of Pharmacy conducted a webinar on ‘New insights on solid state studies in formulation stability: A case study’ for BPharm, MPharm and PhD students on June 27, 2020.
- The Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering, Institute of Technology organised a webinar on ‘Eye-tracking – An Application of Computer Vision and Machine Learning’ on July 26, 2020. The session was conducted by alumni member Mr Rakshit Kothari, a computer vision and eye tracking researcher, and pursuing doctorate at the Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT). The webinar was attended by approximately 55 students and faculty members.
Industrial Instrumentation and Automation Webinar Series
As part of the webinar series “Industrial Instrumentation and Automation” conducted by the alumni of Institute of Technology the following sessions were held in June 2020:
- 5G Technology for Industrial Instrumentation by Rahul Kaushik (2006-2010 Batch), Lead Engineer at Qualcomm, USA on June 22, 2020.
- Deep Learning in 2020 by Harsh Munshi (2009-2013 Batch), R & D Engineer, Graymatics, Singapore, June 23, 2020.
- Role of I & C Engineers in the Field of Process Safety by Murtaza Gandhi (1998-2002 Batch), Senior Engineer and Scholarship Chair at Baker Risk, USA and ISA, PMCD Division on June 25, 2020.
Placement Mantra by Senior Friends
As part of the webinar series “Placement Mantra by Senior Friends” organised by the Department of Electronics & Communication Engineering, Institute of Technology the following sessions were held for the students of BTech Semester V and VII:
- Mr Rakshit Goyal from ARM, Bangalore and Mr Pranjal Shrivastava from Cypress, Bangalore interacted with the students on the topic “Placement Process” on June 14, 2020.
- Mr Rakshit Goyal from ARM, Bangalore, Mr Pranjal Shrivastava, and Mr Jaivik Desai from Cypress, Bangalore conducted a session on “Programming Languages” on June 20, 2020.
- Mr Rakshit Goyal and Mr Prakhar Suneja from ARM, Bangalore; Mr Pranjal Shrivastava from Cypress, Bangalore; Ms Vinita Ramnani from Xilinx, Delhi; Ms Jaya Thadani from Xilinx, Hyderabad; and Ms Vidhi Shah from einfochips, Ahmedabad conducted a session on “VLSI Design” on June 21, 2020.
- Mr Pranjal Shrivastava, Mr Jayvik Desai and Ms Aditi Bhatnagar from Cypress Semiconductor, Bangalore conducted a session on “Embedded System” on July 4, 2020.
- Ms Shreya Adhikari, Ms Anmol Jain, Mr Yash Lad and Mr Dhruv Shah from Secearce, Pune conducted a session on “Preparation for Job Placements in Non-Tech Industries” on July 5, 2020.
- Mr Bhavin V Nayak from Apple, USA shared his experience “Journey from Nirma BTech EC to Apple USA” on July 10, 2020.
An online alumni interaction for alumni of Civil Engineering Department, Nirma University who are working/studying abroad was held on June 21, 2020. Around 25 alumni members participated in the meet. The alumni members shared the experiences of their higher studies, and work environment and culture abroad. They also provided feedback on the improvements that can be made in the curriculum of BTech, Civil Engineering.